Leeds City Council- Highways and Transportation division- Principal Engineer.
Leeds is an economic powerhouse and the city’s council is the second largest local authority in the UK, both by population and geographical area serving over 800,000 people.
Our ambition is to be the best city and to be the best council in the UK; fair, open and welcoming with an economy that is both prosperous and sustainable, so all our communities are successful.
To reach this ambition, maintaining our highway infrastructure is an integral part and is supported by an annual budget in the region of £25m per year, delivered by our in-house teams together with specialist contractors.
With full commitment to the highway infrastructure service delivery we are currently recruiting a capable and credible Principal Engineer to lead the successful delivery of annual revenue and capital programmes, through a range of private contractors, whilst overseeing the design of maintenance schemes.
- With a sound knowledge of highway maintenance and/or construction processes, techniques and materials you will have responsibility for ensuring works are delivered in accordance with programme and financial constraints.
- You will have a sound knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety regulations and requirements, including Construction Design and Management Regulations (2015)
- Through effective leadership and management skills you will ensure works are carried out safely and to specification, whilst also ensuring performance standards are maintained, reviewed and improved (where required).
- An understanding of local government and experience of achieving results in a politically sensitive environment, where priorities are ever-changing is essential.
- As a leader of people and services, adapting to change seamlessly and promoting positivity around said change will be critical to the success of your role and the future delivery of continuous improvement plans to the service.
To be successful in this position, you will hold a qualification (ideally degree qualified) in a construction related discipline. In addition, you will have considerable experience and competence of delivering multi-disciplinary works programmes, together with the ability to develop productive working relationships that drive collaboration across services, including external stakeholders and contractors. As a people leader you will play an active role in motivating, developing, influencing and managing a diverse workforce to achieve service objectives and drive continual improvements.
What you will get in return:
You can expect to achieve a basic salary of £42,683- £45,591, coupled with a generous leave entitlement, optional membership of the West Yorkshire Pension scheme and other competitive benefits.
The position will be based in high quality, recently refurbished offices at St George House in the heart of Leeds City Centre. This is a rewarding opportunity, where you will be operating at a management level and involved in a diverse range of projects across the highway infrastructure service.
How to apply:
You can find out more by visiting the dedicated Leeds City Council Micro-site for Highways and Transportation:
For applications, please upload a copy of your CV, along with a covering letter which explains both why you are attracted to this post, and why you are the right person for us. Please limit your covering letter to no more than 1 page.
- Closing date for applications – Monday 25th May 2020
- First stage interviews – Week Commencing 01st June 2020
- Final stage interviews – Week Commencing 08th June 2020
For a confidential conversation, please contact:
Karly Clark- Senior Manager Hays Construction and Property
Mobile: 07802 200 492